Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Most Beloved Family Dish: NaBloPoMo Day 1

Here I go again. I feel like I'm always trying so hard to keep up with this and then I don't do well. So my goal will be to post today. There. If I make it to tomorrow great. If not, that's ok too. I'm always trying to do the full month of blogging and then when I miss a day I feel like "well I may as well give up now" and that's not any good. So we'll start with today and see how it goes tomorrow!

I'm talking of course about Blogtober. But I've bitten off maybe more than I can chew this year. Not only do I now have an almost 3 year old, but I also have (as of today) a 9 month old baby AND I decided I wanted to Vlog every day in October too. So clearly I've lost my mind.

All that being said, I'm going to try anyway. And why...I have to ask myself why. I think it's because I truly do love writing. I do. I'm not sure I'm any good at it. It's not like I write these epic blog posts that send hundreds (or even tens) of people racing to my page to see what I've written each day. But I guess in all honesty that's not why I write here anyway. I like documenting my life, our lives, I like writing and this seems like a good way to do it. I never am good at picking up a paper and pen to write. I talk fast, I think fast and my fingers move faster above a keyboard than they do pushing a pen across paper.

I'd like to write a book someday. I've had so many ideas on great books. But that will have to wait. I don't even know where to begin.

Onto the prompt. "What is your most beloved family dish?"

I've had to really think about this one. I don't have one. The first thing that comes to mind is some really yummy chili that I started making after my husband and I got married. It came out of a Better Homes Breast Cancer Awareness huge, pink, cook book. The first time I made it we really enjoyed it. And then I started changing up the recipe pretty much every time I made it after that. I'm sure I've made it 20 times in the last 5 years. See...that's not a lot. Is that a "beloved" family dish? What constitutes "beloved"?

It's the only dish my husband has ever asked me to make repeatedly. Not that I don't make other food that tastes good haha, but he seems to really like it. We used to put in super hot peppers. As hot as we could get it...but now that we have Alivia (who's about to turn 3) we can't add those peppers. I'm excited to see if she'll like spicy foods someday. I fed her curry two night ago and, well, lets just say she wasn't very full by the end of her meal.

Looking back at my own family prior to having children and being married, I'm having a difficult time remembering one specific dish that my mother made. She did cook a lot when she was home to make dinner, as did my step-father, but I just can't really pinpoint ONE that always stood out. I should add that I tend to have a terrible memory at times. It's very possible that I could ask my mother this question and she'd say "Oh of COURSE! Don't you rememeber xyz..." but right now I can't think of anything. She makes great food, they both do. Maybe I'm just hung up on the word "beloved" :-)

I'm sticking with my chili. I do believe I even blogged about it once here...I'll see if I can find the link.

There. Day 1. Done. My goal is complete. And I have my video uploading as I type this to YouTube so 2 goals complete today. 2/2 that's pretty good.

Now lets see if I can make it to tomorrow! 

P.S. What do ya know...there it is White Chicken Chili

No comments:

Post a Comment