Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

White Chicken Chili ~ Crock pot

A friend asked me for the chili recipe I use yesterday and it made me want to make it tonight. That and hubby asking me to make it haha. I made enough for all four of us to have some. It must have been good because not much was left! At the end of this post I'll list the recipe and then what I changed about it. This is my third time making it and each time I've played around with it a little to decide what we really like in it. This was a great dinner for tonight since it's 2 degrees out! Oh, and the red cutting board wasn't a great idea for pics lol


Yellow and red bell peppers. One each.
Three medium sized tomatoes, chopped. This I added to the recipe.

lol, just a pretty picture of the peppers in the pot.

We used one jalapeno pepper and one little habanero pepper. Dustin and I like it hot but his parents don't. This make it just right for all of us. You have to take ALL the seeds out of both peppers. I chopped the habanero (orange) VERY small. Warning : it is a VERY good idea to use gloves while working with both of these peppers. Some day I'll use that advice. I cut these at 1:30 today...it's 9:28 and my fingers still have the oil on them.
 
 My wonderful husband helping me with the chicken cutting!
 Chop the chicken however thick you want. This time we used bigger pieces and it was perfect!!
 The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups chopped chicken. This ended up being only 2 cups. We used 4 frozen chicken breasts. Should have used another one.

 Just some pics of it all coming together. As you might be able to see I also added tomato paste. 12 oz. 

We used two cans of pinto beans and one can of red kidney beans. We used white kidney beans once and they were so soft they broke apart in the chili and it was too mushy for me.
 Gently mix it all together. You don't want to ruin the beans. The last thing you should add is the Chicken Broth. Then mix gently again. This is little hard to do because the pot is SOOOO full!
  Pre-cooked
 The finished product! We like to add cheese and sour cream! 


  •  3, 15 5o 15.5-ounce cans Great Northern pinto or Cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained. Any beans you want to use are fine. As I said above the White Kidney beans don't do so well in this. They tend to get really mushy and mess up the chili. Red kidney beans are great however.
  • 2 1/2 cups chopped chicken
  • 1 cup chopped onion We don't like onion so we skip this part, but it still tastes great
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped red, green and/or yellow sweet pepper (about two medium)
  • 2 frech jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and chopped Depending on how hot you like it play with different peppers. Make sure to read the warning above, working with hot peppers! lol
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced We just use the pre-minced bottle. SO much easier!!! 2 Teaspoons = one clove garlic
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken broth Since we add 12 oz of tomato paste and 3 chopped tomatoes we only use 2 1/2 cups of the chicken broth. Doing this makes the chili thicker.
Combine all of your ingredients leaving the chicken broth for last. Before adding the Chicken Broth gently mix every thing together. Be careful not to smash your beans up in there. Add the chicken broth and then stir again. Your crock pot is going to be REALLY full. Put the lid on and cook on low-heat for 8-10 hours, or high-heat 4-6 hours.
You can add sour cream, cheese, broken up tortilla chips, crackers or get really creative and carve out bread bowls to serve the chili in. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment