Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Who's the cook in this house?!: NaBloPoMo Day 3

So today's prompt from NaBloPoMo and Blogher.com is this:
"Who does most of the cooking in your home?"

That would be me, myself and I. I take that back, my toddler likes to help out as much as possible too. She's actually quite helpful to be honest. She can crack eggs, whisk, grate cheese/zest/garlic, peel garlic, cut up soft foods with a butter knife. Really she does a great job for being only 2 years old.
Would it be easier without her help? Yeah, most of the time but it wouldn't be as much fun!

Right now I am a stay-at-home-mom and my husband is currently studying to become a Realtor so at this point in time I'm home alone with the kids and I do lunch and dinner with the girls by myself. He is here for breakfast so he almost always makes something then for us.

I do love cooking. I wish I had more time to try more in depth recipes but right now in my life I just don't have the time. When I'm trying to take care of a now 9 month old (who has been crawling since 7 months) and a 2.5 year old who is into everything, it's really difficult to find the time and brain power to actually concentrate on a really great new recipe. That being said I do still add 1-2 new meals every week or two so I am trying out new things they are just on the more simple and quick side.

Although I did make risotto for the first time a couple weeks ago, that is not a quick meal. At all. I must admit I used Sesame Street to help entertain the girls while I stood at the stove for 25 minutes constantly stirring so it wouldn't burn. I'm proud to say it came out excellent! And even better both girls gobbled it right up which is always a win in my book.

I've been doing more stir-frys (stir fries/stir fry's?) lately as well which is new for me to do. There are just so many options there! I love how simple it is and how versatile, pretty much anything you have on hand veggie/meat/tofu wise will work. Add some noodles or rice and BAM! Done! I really need to buy a wok because that would surly make it even easier I just don't have the money at the moment to test one out.

Pretty much every night I'm cooking a meal. It's rare that we end up with PB&J sandwiches for dinner and if we do it's simply because it's been a very hectic day or I didn't have time to get what I needed from the store. It does happen but I prefer to cook. I also find that if I meal plan for the week I'm much more likely to make a better meals throughout the day/week. (I talk about my process for meal planning here)

I'm excited for Alivia to be able to get more involved with cooking with me and also excited to have Dustin home nights again at some point so we can all cook together. And he is a great cook so I look forward to eating more meals made by him! (Not to mention I'd welcome the break haha)

2 comments:

  1. Great that your toddler is learning to help with the cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev! I love that she wants to help so much. I hope that she still feels this way when she's 13! ;-)

      Delete