Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

International Babywearing Week 2015: NaBloPoMo Day 4

Happy Tuesday everyone! Today I'm veering off topic from the BlogHer.com NaBloPoMo prompts. If you're participating in Blogtober or NaBloPoMo or would to you can find daily prompts here.
Today's prompt is:

Tuesday, October 6, 2015
Who did most of the cooking in your house when you were growing up?

But today I want to talk about International Babywearing Week! This kicked off on Monday (though I think some places started Sunday) and is in celebration of and to promote, "babywearing". As I'm sure you might guess from the name, it simply means carrying your baby with some sort of a baby/toddler carrier or sling. This week is a way to get the word out, educate families about how and why to babywear and also an opportunity to meet up with like minded people who also love babywearing!

I always laugh remembering the time I told Alivia (2.5 years old) that I was going to wear Juliana for our walk (9 months old) and she stopped and looked at me, then stared laughing and said "wear her like a SHIRT!?" lol. She was being so silly and now every time I say "Where's the Tula" she'll say "are you going to wear her like a shirt again mommy?" and she'll giggle. What's even better about that is she knows she's being goofy.

Red Rocks Amphitheater


Now that I think about it, I take that last statement back...what's even better about her recognizing what I'm doing is that she, at the tender age of 2, is already learning a great way to care for a baby. What a great way to start teaching her, without even intending to! Obviously she has many many many years before she'll be taking care of her own children, should she choose to have any, but just like anything else we learn as young children, these things will be deeply instilled in her and hopefully will benefit her for years to come.

(by the way, she loves wearing her baby dolls...I really need to get her a doll carrier that works better. She has a really cheap one from Home Goods but the babies keep falling out lol)

There are so many great reasons to babywear, to list a few...

When baby is first born they are most vulnerable to outside stimulus, noises, sights, smells, you name it. The world is unknown to them. The only thing they have known is the sounds and comfort of their mother's womb. Of always being held close, warm and comfortable (even though their feet in our ribs and heads on our bladder were less than comfy for us...). Then they are born and WOW what a change?! Luckily the motherly/human/animal instinct is to keep them close. The moment they are born we are bringing them to our chest, putting a blanket over top of them and holding them right against us. (This has so many benefits but that's enough for a whole other post!) Doesn't it just seem natural that you'd want to mimic that comforting environment as long as you can?

Once mama is up and moving around a bit more at home,  babywearing is a wonderful way to be able to do things around the house while still keeping your baby close. I have done laundry, cleaning, dishes, cooking, playing with my 2 year old, all while wearing Juliana. She cries less and we're both happy!

Babies who are carried tend to cry less in general. They are always near their favorite person, still hearing their breaths, heart beat, smelling them and hearing them talk. They feel connected still to their mother; why wouldn't they be happier?!

First carousal ride!


I say "mother" but any caregiver can, and is encouraged to, wear the little ones they are taking care of. Just because it's typically the mother that you may thing about out and about or cleaning the home with their baby attached to them that's not to say there aren't thousands of papa's, grandma's, grandpa's, nannies,...the list is endless. And this allows the baby to bond with other loved ones when mama isn't around or just needs a break!

If you happen to be a breastfeeding mama than I highly encourage you to learn how to nurse your baby while they are in the carrier. It can be tricky at first and each carrier/sling will present a different challenge in the beginning but let me tell you...it's a life saver! It's incredibly convenient to be able to feed your baby right then and there. It's especially nice if your a mother who somewhat shies away from nursing in public. It's almost a built in "cover" since you're already holding baby so close to you it's hard for others to see what's going on in there anyway!

Easy to nurse in!


Babywearing offers great exercise to the mother as well! I don't know about you but since I've had my two girls exercise has been at the bottom of my list. Not because I don't see the value and importance of it but I simply don't have the time! But when taking into consideration that I'm up and about a lot, taking walks, grocery shopping, cleaning up...all with an extra 18lb weight add to me! That's some good exercise people! I don't have proof of this but I can't help but believe that babywearing may help you be more active in general. Strollers are great, don't get me wrong, I use one still plenty, but when you plop your babe down in the stroller and 10 mins into your walk they start crying because they want to be held you're going to be less likely to keep going out on those walks. Because if you're like me you end up carrying the baby anyway and trying to push a stroller with one hand. And come on...that's too much work ;-)



I say "baby" a lot but this all goes for toddlers as well. There are many baby carriers out there that can hold your child well beyond the infant stage. Just because these little people can walk and talk and demand things now doesn't mean that they are all grown up and don't need the love and protection that wearing them can offer. The world can be very frightening and over-stimulating to a small child and wearing them is a great way to help combat there fears. I see this most helpful in crowded places; the zoo, museum, farmer's markets. There are a lot of people and while the little one may want to get down and run around a bit they still like to come back to home base and receive some extra security knowing their mother (caregiver is there). Personally for our family if we are going on a walk around the neighborhood my toddler likes to run, climb, jump, spin, basically she's just all over the place and wearing her wouldn't do either one of us any good but if it's an extra long walk or say out hiking, they get tired too and it's a nice comforting place for them to snuggle back up to you.



I'd like to add that wearing our children is also very helpful for parents with children who have special needs. There are many different handicaps out there that almost make baby/toddler wearing a necessity and help make life a tad bit easier for everyone.

I could truly go on and on and on about this. Can you tell I love babywearing?! But it's getting late, I'm tired and I don't want to start boring anyone here. :-)

At the zoo

There are so many resources out there to assist with purchasing slings and carriers, as well as support groups to help you get started, get the right fit, right size, right carrier. It's not "one size fits all" by any means and it can seem a little over whelming at first. I do promise you that if you get into it and get some help getting started you'd love it! It may take a few tries and maybe borrowing a carrier before you know which one you really want, but usually that's all it takes. Once you and your baby are comfortable you'll start seeing all the benefits yourself.

Babywearing isn't new. People all over the world and for hundreds of years have been wearing their babies and toddlers. But it is something that I feel could use a little more awareness. Anything that can make a baby and their new families life easier has got to be shouted from the rooftops! And hopefully this well help spread the word.

Good night friends.

P.S. I'd love to hear about your experiences with babywearing and how it's helped you!

On a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment