Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Favorite Autumn Sound

I've been thinking about this one all day. Autumn brings upon many different smells, sights and tastes, certainly different feelings as the weather starts to change. But what does Autumn sound like? And what's my favorite of those sounds?

When I was younger the sounds were different this time of year. I'd be starting school again, getting ready in the morning with the birds chirping, listening to other kids in the neighborhood piling into their cars, the school bell ringing and lots of talkative friends.

I don't hear those sounds anymore. Someday, when Alivia is starting school I'm guessing those sounds will come rushing back to me. But now, as an adult and a married woman and a mommy? It's the crunching of the leaves under my little girls feet. The sound of her little voice saying "Mommy crunch!" and her shoes running across the pavement or sloshing through the wet grass as fast as she can go to crunch the leaves on the ground. It's the sound of her giggles and smiles as she looks up at me while stomping her little feet in the leaves and looking around for more to chase.

The sound of  leaves blowing down the sidewalk in the wind is also quite nice. It's a little unsettling as it usually reminds me of some scary movie but it's also calming when it's the only thing you hear.

My favorite sound of fall has changed over the years, that's for sure. My liking for the season at all has changed, and that's a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment