Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sleep Update

Yikes I can't believe I last posted over a month ago! I swear every day I think "I need to blog _____" and I never get to it. Part of it is that I'm busy with two little ones the other part is that Juliana pretty much never sleeps at night so I'm always going right to bed. It sucks. But anyway, this is about Alivia and her awesome sleep update!

I posted last month (or was it the month before?) that I was working on getting her to nap on her own, without me in the bedroom. SUCCESS!!! Yes people, we have made it! But wait....there's more....

SHE IS SLEEPING ON HER OWN AT BED TIME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously this is so awesome in my home, really really really amazing. Dustin had taken over doing the bedtime process with Alivia after I had Juliana. It took a couple months before she'd let him do it but eventually she understood that he was going to have to do it because I was trying to get Juliana to sleep and nursing her. Well a few weeks ago she started getting really sad when it was bedtime and really wanting me to do bedtime again. She has asked pretty much everyday since her sister was born for me to do it but usually we just say "Daddy is doing bedtime sweetie" and she'd just deal with it. But like I said, the last few weeks she was just really wanting mommy. I don't know what was going on, maybe a developmental thing, and possibly the stress that's been surrounding bedtime lately. I'm always annoyed that Dustin isn't home at a certain time to make sure she's asleep by 7:30, I get frustrated that when he does get home they usually get each other going and all wound up and I'm just nagging both of them to get her into bed. And then of course she's getting to sleep too late. But I couldn't seem to make it change.

So last Friday Dustin went on a solo camping trip for 2 nights which meant that I was doing bedtime on my own. I just kept with the "Mommy is going to sit outside your door" like I do for naps and guess what?... she slept. All night. She didn't wake up once. Then the next night, same thing! So when Dustin came home on Sunday I just kept doing the bedtimes, and she's still sleeping all night long. Last night she did wake up once but there was some noise from Dustin in the living room that woke her up. She has asked a couple times for bed and nap "mommy I want you to sit in here" which still kinda tugs at my heart because I know she likes us to sit in there and I want to make her happy but we have to move on from this at some point. We can't sit in her room all night long every night. But when she asks me to come back in I do. If she needs another hug I'm right there for her, which I think has helped her relax and go to sleep without me in the room...she knows that I'll be there if she asks for me. Dustin had been sitting in her room anywhere from 30-90 mins so this is truly amazing.

And the best part? She LOVES it! Every day she asks "Mommy are you going to do my nap time?" (she means bedtime but for some reason always mixes them up) and when I say yes she is beyond happy. She gives me hugs and kisses and snuggles with me and says "Mommy I love when you do my whole nap time" I love that it makes her so happy, I love that she's comfortably sleeping through the night and I love that we aren't having to sit in her room for hours waiting for her to fall asleep. And now she's getting to sleep about 8:15 which is still 45 mins later than I want but I'm trying to work on that.

HAPPY DANCE HAPPY DANCE HAPPY DANCE!



No comments:

Post a Comment